Skip to main content

Pattern of health care need and Utilization among Hajjis during Hajj 1426H


In Hajj season, all the governmental and non-governmental health care sectors work together to provide the hajjis with a good health care which should match their needs and their health-related problems. This great job should be designed on a scientific basis built on scientific studies to avoid the efforts wastage and to reach the main goal of this outstanding hard work. In a previous study related to the same issue found that only around 30 % of the hajjis visited the PHC in Mina and the others may have got their health care from other unknown sources. For this reason, a community based study has been conducted to know the real pattern of diseases among hajjis and how they have got their health care to help in the health care system rephrasing and decision making


Study has been conducted as a descriptive cross-sectional study among Arab Hajjis in mina camps. A structured data collection instrument has been designed to collect information about demographic characteristics of hajjis, list of diseases that may be encountered during hajj season since they have arrived in Saudi Arabia, the health care facilities that have been visited by them, history of drugs that have been used and the source of these drugs and the reason of this pattern of health utilization (their knowledge and attitude assessment). A sample of 30 camps, using ministry of Hajj records has been drawn randomly by a cluster stratified not proportionate to size sampling technique and a self- administered questionnaire was used to collect information from 731 hajjis. Data collection was done from 8 th to 12 th Dhu'ul Hajja, 1426 hijra in Mina by a team of doctors. Using an appropriate computing and statistical procedure, data have been analyzed in line with the study objectives.


Out of the 30 camps included in the study among the total number of 731 of Hajjis, there were 384 (52.5%) domestic Hajjis and 347 (47.5%) international Hajjis1, 555 (75.9%) were males and 176 (24.1%) were females. Out of 731 Hajjis, 602 (82.4%) were vaccinated against Meningitis while the rest of 129 Hajjis (17.6%) were not vaccinated against Meningitis. Also, out of 731 Hajjis, 39 (5.3%) were using the face mask regularly (66.7% out of them were domestic and 33.3% were international Hajjis), while 459 (62.8%) never used the face mask. We also found that more than half of the Hajjis about 433 (59.2%) said that they have a doctor or a dispensary in their own camps. 631 (86.3%) Hajjis were not suffering from any chronic disease or physical disability (52.8% out of them were domestic and 47.2% were international Hajjis) while only 100 (13.7%) were suffering from a chronic disease and/or a physical disability (51% out of them were domestic and 49% were international Hajjis). 62 (8.5%) Hajjis got an acute episode since they arrived to perform Hajj. 529 (72.4%) Hajjis knew that there are a number of primary health care centers and hospitals being run by the Saudi Ministry of Health which provide free medical services for all Hajjis in Makkah, Mina, Arafat and Madinah, out of 101 Hajjis whom visited the free governmental health facilities, 84 (83.2%) were satisfied with their management. On the other hand, 385 (52.7%) brought nothing with them to Hajj while 292 (39.9%) brought a first aid box and only 54 (7.4%) brought medications with them.


Meningococcal vaccination especially for domestic hajjis needs strengthening. Among acute diseases ARI followed by food poisoning, and among chronic diseases Diabetes mellitus, hypertension and bronchial asthma are common problems. Majority of the patients with chronic diseases bring their own medicines and use it. Hajjis who visited health facilities were satisfied with the care provided.